Thursday, May 17, 2007

Strawbs on the way

At last I got around to weeding the strawberries today: they were sprouting thistles by the time I got to them, so they've been a bit neglected, but fortunately I've shoved so much manure and compost into the beds that the soil is about the best on the allotment and the weeds just jumped out.

The Honeoye I planted last year have been a bit disappointing - small plants still and only a handful of strawbs. They aren't much further along than the Cambridge Favourites next door, either - but perhaps it's just that it's their first season.

The Cambridge Favourites, on the other hand, are in their second year and quite amazing. I don't think I've ever seen so many strawberries per plant - must be a good dozen to 20 each. They're still tiny but should produce a fantastic crop - that is, if I can beat the slugs and mice to them...

2 comments:

Growing Apprentice said...

hey, like your blog. you are into some serious gardening!
thought you might like to check out my words? http://growingtales.wordpress.com
Maybe? Maybe not? Would be interested to see what you think!
Will definitely keep reading yours. Have lots to learn!
Hope you manage to do that bbq down your allotment sometime.
Cheers!

The Constant Gardener said...

hi nice to meet you - been over to your blog and found out lots more interesting plants I can grow! Thank you! and I thought your fox was amazing...!